Today I packed all my work up ready to take to Deda for our ‘Bridge the Gap’ exhibition which we begin to install on Monday morning.
Excited and nervous about the exhibition and sad that the residency has come to an end. I will be visiting Artcore often I hope.
It was a bit of a panic getting work finished off but I think I am done now apart from doing a bit of framing today.
Thanks Artcore, it’s been a fabulous two months, I have enjoyed being a part of an amazing group of creative and supportive people.
Well, here we are on our final week at Artcore. It has been brilliant and I will be sad to leave this studio. It has been my home and the home of my press for the last eight weeks. Today I have been busy with some wallpaper and another small block. The block will be printed onto the multi-layered prints. Tomorrow I will add the final layers with a little printed text.
A close up of one of the wallpapers
Another block cut
and the ink
Thinking I was going to get a lot done today I went to photocopy some text from my sketchbook, only to find the photocopier in the Library wasn’t working. I went to the post office but then realised I had not flipped the text (it needs to be in reverse to print from). I went to Wicks for some framers tape, they didn’t have any. I did manage to get some bargain wallpaper though, to print onto, from the Dunelm sale.
I have, since getting back home, scanned and flipped all the images ready to try somewhere else.
I can’t wait to get on with the creative printing part of the process tomorrow.
With only a week left at Artcore it’s all stations go with my printing. It will be sad to leave this little studio and Artcore but I am sure I will be visiting often.
I feel I have just got started with all the ideas that keep flowing through my brain. Just as I start on one idea I want to get it finished to start the next.
The studio is looking a little messier now too.
The studio yesterday
Working on the wallpapers is taking time and is a real test off patience. I am using old fashioned block printing methods to give me a sense of how Indian fabrics were made. It is more difficult than I first thought it would be and a lot more physical.
It has been really interesting talking and listening to people’s stories at Artcore. I have learnt about the partition of India, about the celebrations and the sadness involved and about religions and symbolism.
This weekend my new small blocks arrived.
I decided to try a three colour print using three blocks. I have so far printed the first block onto wallpaper. I am not sure if I am going to like the outcome of this but it’s an experiment so we shall see. The next one will use one colour but two opposite facing blocks to create a repeated design. Looking forward to the challenge of this tomorrow.
Here are some pictures from today.
And some designs for new blocks
I am also working on these, gradually building up layers.
Yesterday was full of experimenting, repeating and physical printing. It took a while to find the right consistency of ink and the right pressure without using my press. Here are the results from this.
Although I find these aesthetically pleasing I feel they lack in narrative and depth. Today I am working on adding some layers to some images. Hopefully there will be time to start cutting a new block.
Tried out some prints onto patterned wallpaper.
I have been away from my blog for a week while I was on holiday in Wales. That didn’t stop me from gathering ideas and information while i was there, drew a few little block printed fabric designs in my sketchbook.
A sigh of relief after the presentation is over and it all went well. Had a lovely day at artcore yesterday at the amazing Chai in the City event. We had Chai tea, fabulous home made curry and desert. I also got my hand henna painted for the first time and I love it.
Now its time to start printing onto different wallpapers that i have gathered to experiment. Going to need all that floor space I think. Also i can’t wait for the new small woodblocks to arrive.
Today will be a feast of printing after spending part of the weekend and all of yesterday focused on cutting a woodblock of crops arranged in a pattern that can repeat over and over.
Had a great day printing so far making lots of mess whilst trying to keep the prints clean. Now I have cleaned up and am working on the next wood block. An exciting book came in the post yesterday.
These prints aren’t all finished, lots more layers to go, some gum Arabic photographic printing to go on them and some Indian wood block prints.
Had a productive day again at Artcore. I think I am on a roll now with this, lots of ideas, just hope I can get them all done in time for the exhibition. Here are my pictures from today, after tidying and sweeping the studio up a bit! My first woodcut and I am quite pleased with it. I will be experimenting at combining this with other print techniques to create multi layered prints but quite like them as a one colour print as well.